Current Students

Leave from studies

You can apply for leave from your studies if you have compassionate or compelling circumstances.

Such compassionate or compelling circumstances are generally those beyond your control and which have an impact on your course progress or well-being. These could include, but are not limited to:

  • serious illness or injury, where a medical certificate states that you were unable to attend classes
  • bereavement of close family members, such as parents or grandparents
  • major political upheaval or natural disaster in your home country requiring emergency travel and this has impacted on your studies
  • a traumatic experience which could include involvement in, or witnessing of a serious accident; or witnessing or being the victim of a serious crime
  • where UWA was unable to offer a prerequisite unit
  • inability to begin studying on the course commencement date due to delay in receiving a student visa

If you wish to take leave from your course, you are encouraged to speak with the International Student Adviser in Student Central to discuss any visa implications. Please note that if your leave is confirmed, your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) will be cancelled. Please contact the Department of Home Affairs if you have concerns about your visa:

In addition, you must: