Diplomas and Masters : Students : The University of Western Australia


Diplomas and Masters


  • askUWA - current students/staff

Useful contacts

Keep up to date with our events and activities, join us


Student with satchel standing in front of the law library

Welcome to the Law School.

Online study resources for students enrolled in a Graduate Diploma or a Master's degree. The Law School's professional team is your point of contact for questions about your progression and navigating degree requirements.  If you cannot find what you are looking for contact the Law School's professional support team through the medium of UWA's student correspondence portal, askUWA.

Academic conduct and ethical scholarship

Academic misconduct, including plagiarism, is covered by the University's guidelines on academic conduct. There is further information about ethical scholarship on the UWA My Course student support webpage.
  • Cheating in tests or examinations, such as copying from another student, or taking unauthorised materials into the test or examination room.
  • Plagiarism is presenting another's work as though it were one's own; for instance, quoting or paraphrasing someone else's opinions, arguments or research findings, whether published or unpublished, without clear acknowledgement of the source. (No source need be given for commonly accepted matters of fact.)
  • Falsifying results of experiments or research studies.
  • Collusion - for example, writing an assignment jointly and submitting it as the work of one individual unless it is clearly designated a group project.
  • Helping someone else to commit any dishonest act such as those listed above.
The consequences for misconduct can be severe, including exclusion from the University.

Disclosure - important note to students who wish to be a Lawyer
Academic dishonesty or misconduct may have to be reported to the authorities responsible for admission to the legal profession and will be taken into account in deciding whether a person is suitable for admission as a legal practitioner.

Approved leave - deferring your studies

If you are planning to take time off from your studies it is important that you discuss your plans with a Faculty Student Adviser first, and if appropriate, apply for approved leave. UWA Handbook approved leave.

Important note: if you don't gain Approved Leave, and don't complete any units in a given semester or trimester you will be considered to have discontinued your course. This means that you will need to re-apply for admission if you wish to return to your studies in the future.

How do I study a Master's degree after undertaking a Graduate Diploma? - Articulation

How to articulate:

  1. Apply online for the Master degree once you have completed the Graduate Diploma units. Where there is a sequence of (upward) course articulation, the higher award must acknowledge such articulation.
  2. Complete and submit an Advanced Standing form to the Faculty.

Important note: in circumstances where units are credited towards the Master’s degree via the Advanced Standing process, the Graduate Diploma degree is not to be taken out. Where credit is given, only one degree will be awarded. Credit will not be granted for units undertaken in a Graduate Diploma where the award has been conferred.

Assignments, assessments and examinations



  • The UWA Policy on Assessment (UP15/5) covers award of grades and marks, anonymous assessment, special consideration, deferred examinations, supplementary assessment, application for extensions, late submissions, exceeding word or specified page limits on assignments and all other related assessment matters.


  • You are responsible for checking when and where your exams are held. You can do this by checking your timetable in studentConnect. On the Current Students website, you will find detailed information on results, appeals, deferred examinations, exam clashes, exam papers, rules and who to contact for further information about exams.
Policies and good practice.
  • The following policies are grouped under headings to reflect your student lifecyce.
Admission and enrolment
Fees and charges
Assessment and examinations
Academic performance
Honours award
Higher degree by research
Student conduct
Appeals and complaints

Credit for previous study

The University may grant advanced standing in a postgraduate degree courses through the transfer of credit for work completed elsewhere in the higher education sector and through the recognition of prior learning from professional courses. Procedure

Cross-institutional study

Students may be permitted to undertake studies on a cross-institutional basis at another higher education institution (host institution) for credit to their degree course at this University (home institution). Procedure

In the first instance, approval must be obtained from the Faculty Student Adviser and then from the institution at which students seek to enrol.

How to enrol, subjects and timetable

Unit enrolment is an online process via studentConnect. it is recommended that you enrol in units for both semesters of the academic year.  Visit the UWA Handbook for unit codes and availability.

A useful online resource for the UWA Law Master's course structures, unit dates and study plan templates is the Units - Subject Options webpage.

INVALID units need to be corrected. There are a number of reasons your enrolment in a unit may show up as “INVALID”. Check to ensure you meet all the prerequisites. If you do not meet all the prerequisites you should either withdraw from the unit or seek special approval. You should still attend lectures and tutorial classes for the invalid units until you have received advice from the Faculty.

If you are unable to withdraw from a unit online, the census date may have passed and you will need to complete a Change of Enrolment form (available from Student Central, in person or via ask UWA.

To add a unit late, fill out a Special Approval form and submit the form via askUWA to the Faculty of Law for approval. You then need to take the signed approval form to Student Central to process a Change of Enrollment form and pay the late fee.

Important note: if you withdraw from a unit after the academic withdrawal date, for the purposes of calculating the GPA and WAM a withdrawal FN equals zero, and will bring your GPA and WAM down.
You should make yourself familiar with the UWA Census Dates and be aware of this when considering withdrawing or submitting a Change of Enrolment form. Census dates and academic withdrawal dates explained. Teaching periods, census and withdrawal dates.

Withdrawing from enrolment. Before withdrawing from your course, you should discuss your intention with your faculty adviser as other options may be available. You might also consider applying for approved leave. Detailed information

Planning to undertake further studies? Successful completion of a 12 point research paper satisfies the adequate research preparation requirement for entry into doctoral education.


Email, internet and student device support

All students currently enrolled at UWA are automatically assigned an email address. It is important to use this email address, as the University sends your official and general correspondence to that address.  UWA Student E-mail system, a comprehensive student communications and collaboration suite.

UWA offers a range of online and person-to-person help so students can make the most of their email and network access and technical support, including audio visual equipment. IT Student Support.

Learning Resources

UWA has a wealth of resources available to support your student learning.

Postgraduate Law Orientation Guide

Law Master's Style and Referencing Guide

Legal Resources Unit. This is a non-accessed unit called Legal Resources for Postgraduates in Law. This LMS resource is a support page for those undertaking studies of Law at Masters level who need a refresher or training in how to research and write independent legal essays.

Law Library
Semester opening hours

Click here for information about:

Academic Conduct Essentials (ACE): compulsory online module for all students about ethical scholarship and the expectations of correct academic conduct that UWA has of its students.
Course Materials Online (CMO): Find out the course materials identified by your lecturers as important for your unit.
Information resources: locate library services, including the library OneSearch, and access IT Help.
Learning Management System (Blackboard): Use the LMS to access the online information, resources and activities specific to your units.
Lecture Capture System (LCS): Listen to lecture recordings for your units.
Dates and deadlines: Keep track of teaching periods, withdrawal and census dates.
Handbook: Find out about UWA courses, majors, units and schedules.
StudySmarter: Access resources to improve study, communication, maths, writing and research skills.

Learning and Teaching

Responsibility for the quality and delivery of law education lies with the Faculty of Law. We design and deliver courses and units, and are accountable for quality of teaching and student satisfaction with their educational experience.

Our Faculty is strongly focused on providing a rich and rewarding learning experience. It has identified three key objectives to do this: enhance the student experience, improve teaching quality and to continue to build links between teaching and research. For more informationEquity and Diversity at the Law School.

Attributes and skills: expected outcomes

Teaching and Learning Awards 2016

Review and appeals

In accordance with the University Policy on Review and Appeal of Academic Decisions Relating to Students, a student may request a review of an academic decision relating to them, and to appeal if they are dissatisfied with the outcome of that review. Review and appeal procedure.

Scholarships and Awards

Information regarding undergraduate scholarships and awards can be found online.

Special Consideration

If you think your study has been severely affected by serious illness or other factors outside your control, you can apply for special consideration.

An application for extension must be submitted before the assessment due date via askUWA or hand-in at the Arts and Law Student Office. All requests for special consideration, including the application for assignment extension, must be made using the form and the appropriate supporting documents. Application form and required documentation.

A student should not wait for their results to come out before applying for special consideration.

Applications for special consideration will be assessed, where possible, within three (3) University working day of submission. Notification of the outcome of any application will be communicated by email to the student’s university email address.

Detailed information.

Student exchange and study abroad

Student life

The Law School is host to the law students' society, Blackstone Society. Joining the Blackstone Society puts you in contact with people that share common interests and are going through a similar experience. For more information visit the society's webpage. Involvement with Blackstone goes a long way to ensuring that you get the most out of your University education. It provides:

  • a wide range of social events including the Law Dinner Debate, Annual Law Ball and cocktail evenings
  • legal competitions
  • equity and social justice initiatives such as the Women in Law Mentoring Scheme and the Blackstone Volunteering Program
  • a catalogue of different publications
  • career fairs, workshops and seminars
  • as well as representation and advocacy within the Law Faculty, the University and nationally within the Australian Law Students Association

The UWAstudents YouTube has many videos that can assist you.

STUDYSmarter provides online services that promote writing, research and study skills.

Things to know and places to go. Free University services and social activities.

UWA has a wealth of resources available to support your student learning.

Study Plans

The UWA Law Masters program offers a wide range of elective option units scheduled throughout out the academic year. Study Plan templates are provided to assist you with your yearly planning.


Congratulations! If you are reading this, it is probably because you have completed, or are about to complete, your course. To receive your award certificate from the University you must apply to graduate.

You can either receive your certificate at a Graduation Ceremony, held in Winthrop Hall on the Crawley campus in Perth, or apply to graduate In Absentia and have your certificate mailed to you

What’s next?

Research is an exciting journey of discovery, where you'll be working at the ever-shifting boundary between the known and the unknown.

Doctoral education will equip you with problem-solving skills, critical reasoning and an understanding of how to approach a problem from different angles and perspectives. These skills and how to use them in achieving sought-after changes in our lives is vital in our knowledge-based economy.

The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) is the University's flagship research degree, which can be taken in any discipline area in the University. For more information about the Master of Philosophy, Doctor of Philosophy and the Doctor of Judicial Science.