Current Students

Support for postgraduate research students

Getting started

New researcher checklist

We want you to have the best possible start to your postgraduate research studies, so we have prepared a checklist, identifying the essential information required to get you started. We suggest that you work through the checklist within a fortnight of your enrolment. Your supervisor, graduate research coordinator or Academic Services team will be able to assist you.

Computer access

If you are a newly enrolled full-time or part-time postgraduate research student, the Faculty will provide you with access to a dedicated UWA laptop/computer for your research. Current postgraduate research students may also request a UWA computer and these requests will be supported on a priority basis.

To arrange your laptop/computer access, contact [email protected].


Access to a photocopier/printer, subject to monthly limits, is available to all full-time HDR students in all ABLE schools except the School of Music. Your UWA computer will be networked to a printer and your Academic Services team can provide you with a personal photocopier access code, where applicable.

Study spaces

Specific workstations have been set aside across the Faculty for use by HDR students. If you would like to access one of these spaces, contact your Academic Services team to check availability.

Email accounts

All students currently enrolled at UWA are automatically assigned an email address. The University sends your official correspondence to your email, so please check your messages regularly. You can access your student email account through a variety of methods:

  • Directly through Webmail
  • On your device

You will need an active Pheme account. Commencing students will need to activate their Pheme account before they can access their email.

In addition to your general UWA email address, HDR students are also eligible to activate a UWA research email alias. The default format of your UWA research email alias is: [email protected]. For further information on how to establish a research email alias, visit askUWA.

Your candidature


studentConnect is your UWA administration portal. Here you can update your address and contact information and view your current enrolment, course and administration fees and graduation information. Remember that it is your responsibility to check your milestones and you will not receive reminders.

Postgraduate forms

Throughout your candidature, a range of tasks, milestones and approvals are required, which are managed through various forms. Postgraduate forms are available from the Graduate Research School and are approved by your coordinating supervisor and graduate research coordinator. Contact the Graduate Research School if you have any questions. To simplify the search process, all the forms you will need are captured by candidature stages and topics. Forms are also available for research programs administered by the Graduate School of Education.

Your candidature journey

The Graduate Research School is responsible for candidature management and is an important source of information and advice.

Coursework units

Will your research benefit from enrolment in coursework units? Doctor of Philosophy and Master of Philosophy candidates can enrol in up to 24 points of coursework, if necessary, for the successful completion of their research degree. Discuss with your supervisor(s), browse the UWA Handbook and check Timetables to see how your potential study plan could be scheduled.

Grants and scholarships

    HDR Faculty Funding

    The Faculty provides HDR students with funding to support research undertaken during their candidature. Funds are placed into a dedicated account known as a Project Grant (PG). The amounts provided are captured in the following table:

    Doctoral degrees Master’s by Research
    Full-time $5100. Paid as an allocation of $1700 p.a. for three years* $2000. Paid as an allocation of $1000 p.a. for two years*
    Part-time $5100. Paid as an allocation of $850 p.a. for six years* $2000. Paid as an allocation of $500 p.a. for four years*

    *Paid after the first census date following enrolment.

    These amounts are all-inclusive and must cover all research costs including travel, conferences, thesis printing, business card printing, any computing items required separate to the standard machine and software provided by the Faculty, etc.
    PGs are closed upon submission of thesis for examination, or on withdrawal or termination of candidature.  For legitimate expenses incurred post-submission (eg corrections editing and thesis permanent binding), additional funds are available.

    How to access your funds

    The Faculty Financial and Resources team ([email protected]) will provide details of the PG number, and advice on how to access funds and your account balances.
    To request a purchase, complete the HDR Student Expense form and have it approved/signed by your coordinating supervisor before submitting directly to the Financial and Resources team at [email protected].

    For a reimbursement complete the HDR Student Expense form and submit with your receipts via SAP Concur: log in to LMS and navigate to the following: Units > in 'Organisation Search' type 'SAP Concur Expense' > click 'Go' > click the arrow next to 'Concur-Expense' > click 'Enrol'. 

    Scholarship opportunities

    Scholarships, prizes and awards are available for future and current students.

    Student Travel Award

    You may apply for up to $750 for domestic travel and up to $1850 for overseas travel from the Graduate Research School. You can also utilise your HDR Support Grant for approved travel. View further information about the Student Travel Award available from the Graduate Research School.

    Thesis allowance claim form

    Some scholarship recipients1 may complete the Thesis Allowance Claim form to receive up to six (6) copies printed and permanently bound within two years of expiry or termination of the award. 


    Travel is a recognised part of HDR research and any travel overseas during candidature will require approval from the Graduate Research School.

    Travel approval

    All University travel must be approved by the appropriate University-delegated authority. Travellers are also required to arrange and manage air travel through the Travel Requisition System, Concur.

    HDR students should apply for overseas travel and the Student Travel Award at least four weeks before the intended travel.

    Booking travel with Concur

    When booking your travel through Concur, remember to attach approval from your coordinating supervisor. If it is your first time using Concur, set up your profile and update the time zone (local time) to Perth (+8:00) before creating a new request. HDR students can only access the booking type ‘Concur REQUEST’, therefore change the default booking type from ‘Concur TRAVEL’ to ‘Concur REQUEST’ before you can proceed.

    Refer to module 27 ‘HDR Student Travel’ of the Concur Travel Management System guide or consult your Academic Services team for assistance. If there is a problem with Workflow approval, contact Transactions and Purchasing to resolve by emailing [email protected].

    Completing your study

    As you approach the end of your thesis, you will need to consider its format and discuss possible examiners with your supervisors. The Graduate Research School provides useful information on the style and format of your thesis.

    Thesis printing and binding

    Your HDR Support Grant may be used for thesis printing and binding costs. Request approval via the HDR Student Expense form before placing your order via UniPrint. For queries and support, consult the thesis binding online ordering guide or contact UniPrint.

    Thesis allowance claim form

    Some scholarship recipients1 may complete the Thesis Allowance Claim form to receive up to six (6) copies printed and permanently bound within two years of expiry or termination of the award.


    In order to graduate and receive your degree certificate whether attending a graduation ceremony or not, you must apply to graduate. You will need to contact the Graduation team by using the ‘Ask a Question Tab’ in askUWA. The University will take no action to process your award until you have applied.

    Graduate lifetime email address

    UWA student email will be accessible for 12 months after you complete your course. Convocation provides a Graduate Lifetime Email Address in the form of [email protected] for graduates of the University.

    [1] RTP, UPA, Gledden, Hackett, Prescott, and full Jean Rogerson

    Contact us


    Academic Services

    Graduate Research Coordinator


    Accounting and Finance; Economics

    [email protected]

    Accounting and Finance: [email protected]

    Economics: [email protected]


    Marketing; Management and Organisations

    [email protected]

    Marketing: [email protected]

    Management and Organisations: [email protected]


    [email protected]

    [email protected]


    [email protected]

    [email protected]


    [email protected]

    [email protected]


    [email protected]

    [email protected]


    [email protected]

    [email protected]

    Social Sciences

    [email protected]

    [email protected]

    Graduate Research School
    HDR Support (Admissions)
    [email protected]

    IT Service Delivery

    (+61) 8 6488 1523
    [email protected]

    Transactions and Purchasing

    [email protected]