Current Students

Cross-institutional enrolments guidance

If you are enrolled in the Law School at UWA, you can apply to study units at other approved tertiary institutions within Australia for credit to your degree.

How to apply

You will need to complete a Cross-institutional Approval Form from Student Administration and submit it to the Arts and Law Student Office, together with an outline of the unit(s) for which approval is sought.

Once approved, you will need to enrol both at the host institution and at UWA. We will notify you of the relevant external special unit code in which you must enrol at UWA. When you have completed the unit or units at the host institution, it will be your responsibility to ensure that an original or certified copy of your results is available to UWA for recording on your UWA transcript. Please note, we grade units studied cross institutionally as pass/ fail on your academic record and therefore they are not included in calculating your Grade Point Average (GPA) but will be considered in determining your progress status at this University.

Conditions of approval

Approval for cross-institutional enrolment will be based on the following:

Other than in exceptional circumstances (such as temporary or permanent relocation interstate):

  • You will not be permitted to complete more than two units cross-institutionally.
  • You will not be permitted to complete any core units cross-institutionally.
  • You will not be permitted to enrol in a unit at another institution within the State where that unit or a similar unit is offered at UWA.

Approval will only be considered for units:

  • Offered as part of a Bachelor of Laws degree, Juris Doctor or equivalent, and are of similar academic integrity to units at UWA.
  • Taught at a similar level to units at UWA. (Most of UWA's Law LLB options are Level 3 units. As such, first-year units at other institutions are unlikely to be deemed suitable for credit.)
  • Approval will not be given for units taught substantially online. A separate determination will need to be made regarding the number of points which will be awarded towards your degree for the successful completion of a unit at another tertiary institution in Australia. It is not automatically the case that a unit offered at another tertiary institution will earn six UWA points.
  • Cross-institutional enrolment for a UWA student is a privilege, not a right, which is granted at the discretion of the relevant faculty or board - Please refer to the University Policy: on Student Enrolment (UP18/5 Section 7)