Current Students

Motor vehicle insurance

Further information

Policy information

CGU Insurance 
Policy Number
Period of Insurance
From 1 November 2016 to 31 October 2017
Certificate of Currency
Please contact to request a copy of the certificate of currency.


Enquiries may be made to UWA's Insurance Broker

Email: or Telephone (+61 8) 9424 9424.

The University provides insurance for authorised members of University staff or students using University vehicles for official business.

All drivers must hold a current and appropriate licence for the class of vehicle being driven.

Persons insured by this policy

The policy provides cover for all licensed motor vehicles including cars, trucks, buses, motor cycles and trailers owned by the University or in which it has an insurable interest.

Failure to follow the following procedures will result in vehicles not being insured:

  • vehicles must only be used on University business as outlined in the University Finance Manual.
  • the driver must have an appropriate and current drivers licence. (see Department of Transport)
  • the vehicle must not be driven by a person under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
  • the driver must not refuse to be legally tested for alcohol or any drug, if requested.
  • if the vehicle is to be used in an off-road situation, the driver must have successfully completed a Four Wheel Drive Training Course.

Learner (L plate) drivers are not permitted to drive vehicles insured by this policy.


Driving own vehicle for work purposes

Your own car is not insured by UWA for work purposes. You would need to ensure you have arranged the cover through your own insurers.

Hire vehicles

Hired vehicles are not insured by motor vehicle fleet policy. When you hire a car for University business, standard insurance is normally included as part of the hire charge. If insurance is not included as part of the hire charge, the Department/Faculty shall purchase insurance for the vehicle from the hire company. No cover is available under the UWA motor vehicle policy.

Excluded activities

The following activities are excluded from UWA's motor vehicle fleet policy, unless otherwise confirmed by UWA's Insurance Broker:

  • Use for any race, trial, contest, stunt or experiment.
  • Hiring or taking payment for use of a UWA motor vehicle.

The $2,000 excess is payable by the Department/Faculty sustaining the loss or damage for each and every claim made. Additional Age and Inexperienced Excesses may also be applicable.

Should a third party be responsible for the accident, the excess may be recoverable.

The excess is payable to the authorised repairer PRIOR to the collection of the vehicle.

This payment should be made with your Faculty Purchasing Credit Card or UWA Credit Card. Once paid, you will receive an invoice for your financial records.

Process for making a claim

Obtain two quotes from a vehicle repairer/panel beater.  Please refer to the insurer’s preferred network of repairers if required.  UWA continues to recommed the following from the network of repairers:-

Nedlands Panel and Paint

37-41 Carrington Street, NEDLANDS  WA  6009

Telephone (+61 8) 9389 8150

  • Download the CGU motor claim form, and complete including a photocopy of your current drivers licence, quotes for repair and any further supporting documentation. This is to be submitted direct to the insurer at
  • Be sure to quote UWA’s policy number 24F2435596 in the subject field of your email.
  • Once the claim form and attachments have been reveiwed by CGU and your claim has been accepted, they will arrange to have the vehicle inspected by an assessor and authorise the repairs.
  • When vehicle is repaired and ready to be collected. Payment of $2,000 excess is to be made direct to repairer. If repair costs are below the UWA excess full payment of repairs is to be borne by the Faculty/School/BU.

Windscreen Replacement

If the claim is for a broken windscreen, please contact CGU on telephone number 13 24 80 who will then put you in contact with a suitable glazier. Please provide them with UWA’s policy number 24F2435596

  • Alternatively, if you have paid in full for the windscreen repair invoice, please ensure you submit this invoice together with your receipt and your completed CGU motor claim form to CGU Insurance at email for reimbursement.  
  • One glass claim per vehicle per 1 year policy period is excess free. 

Send your completed claim form direct to insurer
Telephone queries with CGU Insurance : 132480.
UWA Insurance Broker for general queries or assistance

Back to top