Current Students

Counselling options

Further information




For assistance outside of our opening hours, or in an emergency, call one of these 24 hour services:

  • Life-threatening emergencies 000
  • UWA Security 6488 2222
  • Lifeline 13 11 14
  • Crisis Care 9223 1111
  • Mental Health Emergency Services 1300 555 788
  • Salvo Care 9442 5777

Our counselling services are available to help with a range of issues.

  1. Individual counselling
  2. Workshops
  3. Accessing private/off-campus psychological services

Individual counselling

Individual counselling will address complex personal and interpersonal issues that are impacting on your study. These may include:
  • anxiety and depression
  • stress management
  • relationship issues
  • interpersonal skills
  • substance abuse
  • sexuality issues.
Practical affecting your studies are also dealt with including:
  • help with poor concentration, organisation, priorities, and goal setting
  • study habits
  • managing relationships with academic staff and supervisors

We provide a triage service for all initial appointments.


Workshops provide helpful information to support student wellbeing and academic success. Most of our workshops are provided on request of faculties or student groups.  If you would like to talk about organising a workshop please call our reception and ask to speak with our manager.

Accessing private psychological services

Australian residents

The Australian Government's Better Access to Mental Health Initiative has allowed clients with a range of psychological issues more affordable access to Clinical Psychologists and Psychologists through the Medicare system.

Your GP can make a referral to a psychologist, social worker or occupational therapist, and will discuss with you a treatment plan. Most of the cost of each session is covered by Medicare.

Overseas students

Overseas students should refer to the UWA preferred provider agreement with OSHC World Care Insurance. OSHC World Care covers all Medicare-listed items including psychological services. To access these services you will need to attend a General Practitioner (GP) appointment for a referral.

Back to top