The University of Western Australia and UWA Student Guild are committed to ensuring all members of the University Community are able to work and study in a safe environment that is free from danger, intimidation and harassment.
The 2019 UWA Safer Communities Award recognises the successes of key individuals or teams who have delivered projects that aim to create a safe, inclusive and supportive environment at the University in line with the UWA Student Experience Strategy – Experience UWA 2025.
Who can nominate?
Nominations are encouraged from individuals or teams across all areas of the University and its affiliates, including the Student Guild, and College Row. Students and staff are both invited to apply.
Nominations are also invited for joint collaborative projects between teams.
Projects or individuals must demonstrate commitment to identifying, preventing and/or mitigating safety and wellbeing concerns across the UWA environment (this can include the University’s online spaces).
- Safety and wellbeing focus areas could include: personal safety, inclusivity, sexual assault and harassment, disrespectful behavior, risky alcohol or other drug use, or mental health challenges.
Initiatives or individuals address safety and wellbeing concerns via one or several of the following methods:
- Policy development
- Such as development or improvement of guiding policies and procedures that protect and support students.
- Process and reporting
Strategies that streamline referral pathways, increase reporting of incidents for sharing of data for continuous improvements to health and wellbeing services.
- Environmental and structural measures
- Improvements to infrastructure or University environments to promote safety or inclusivity for students.
- Prevention and cultural change strategies
- Education initiatives, training programs or events aiming to educate students or staff around health, safety or inclusivity topics.
- Provision of support services
- Providing high quality services to support students or advocating for student needs.
- Communications and promotion
Awareness raising campaigns, cross-collaborative promotion initiatives.
- Individuals or groups can self-nominate or nominate others
- Nominations must be submitted in writing using the template provided
- Nominations must address the selection criteria above and demonstrate commitment to the safety and wellbeing of the university community.
- Supporting documents can be uploaded using the award portal. These can include videos, photos, testimonials, letters of endorsement or other documentation to support the nomination.
- Nominations submitted via the form provided by 5pm,18 October 2019. No late submissions will be accepted.
Nomination panel and prize:
Nominations will be reviewed and a winner will be decided by a selected panel from the UWA Safer Communities Working Group which consists of UWA staff and students. The successful nominee will be awarded a $200 Co-Op voucher and will receive recognition, publication and support for their program from the University. The winner will be announced on 28 October, 2019.