UWA Alcohol and other Drug Counselling Service

Further information

  • UWA Local Drug Action Group
  • Want feedback on your drinking
  • The Lived Experience Project


The on-campus Alcohol and Other Drug Counselling Service is free, confidential and available to both UWA students and staff. 

How could counselling benefit me?

Sometimes your drinking or drug use can get out of balance, especially when you are under a lot of pressure or stress. Counselling can provide you with an insight into your present situation, feelings and behaviour and assist you with re-balancing your lifestyle. 

Counselling provided at the service is completely confidential and does not involve the giving of advice, labelling or judgement. Your attendance at the service is in no way linked to your academic profile.   

Who can access the Service? 

You can access counselling if you have issues related to your own use of alcohol, tobacco or other drugs or the use by a partner, friend or family member. The service is free and only available to UWA students and staff. 

What are appointments like?

The service is provided by qualified counsellors from Palmerston Association Inc. Standard sessions are 60 minutes in length and are held in the Medical Centre. Once you undertake treatment, it is recommended that you attend 6 weekly sessions for maximum benefit. 

Your first session usually involves a comprehensive assessment to determine the issue/s and what you are hoping to get out of counselling. The following sessions are client-centred, working toward your goals for the future.

You are able to bring a partner, friend or family member to your first appointment if you feel it will make you more comfortable.

How can I make an appointment?

If you would like to make an appointment with the Alcohol and Other Drug Counsellor, contact the Medical Centre on (+61 8) 6488 2118. Appointments are available on Fridays only, between 9:00am-2:00pm

If you wish to access counselling outside these hours, please contact Palmerston Association to organise an appointment off-campus. 


Do you have more questions about the Alcohol and Other Drug Counselling Service? Get in touch with us at the Health Promotion Unit