Consultations with STUDYSmarter Learning Skills Advisers mostly take place during
- WRITESmart drop-in sessions which are held in the Collaborative Study Area on the ground floor of the Reid Library.
- Sessions times: 10am-12 pm daily during semester teaching weeks
- (ma+hs)Smart drop-in sessions which are held on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursday in Room 2204, Social Sciences South
- Session times: 10am-12pm
What to expect during WRITESmart drop-in
The Adviser will discuss the strengths and weaknesses of your writing and how to further develop your skills.
They will provide feedback or advice on things like:
- what to include in an introduction and conclusion
- the effective use of thesis statements
- the purpose and use of topic sentences
- the structure an essay, report
- how to edit and proof read your own work
You may find it helpful to discuss an assignment that has already been marked. If this is the case, it's a good idea to bring along the comments you have received.
Please note: Advisers only look at a piece of work once.
What not to expect
- edit or proof read your work
- advise you on what content to include
Office consultations with a Learning Skills Advisers are by referral only. If you have a referral
- contact Student Services reception who will make an appointment for you.
- If you want to discuss your written work with an Adviser, the reception staff will give or email you a Coversheet for Written Work which you will need to submit with your work.
You may have to wait several days for a consultation.