CARS (Communication and Research Skills) is an online unit which assists UWA students to develop basic communication and research skills in an academic context.
Students enrolled in this unit will find it in their LMS. A score of 80% in the final quiz is required to successfully complete the unit. To see when you need to complete CARS, go to Due dates for CARS or check in the LMS. Each module in CARS will take 15-20 minutes to complete.
Students and visitors who are not enrolled in CARS can access these modules any time.
When you work through the CARS unit you will find modules on:
1. Starting your assignment - Understand the University’s academic expectations as you begin your studies.Further resources
2. Finding the best evidence - Find and evaluate scholarly information, and reference your sources.Further resources
3. Writing your assignment - Learn about essay and report writing and how to correctly structure the introduction, body and conclusion of your assignments.Further resources
4. Delivering your oral presentation - Learn about planning, designing and delivering your oral presentations.Further resources
5. Working in teams - Work effectively in a team by getting your team started, determining roles within the team, resolving any issues that may arise within teams and receiving and giving feedback within teams.Further resources
The CARS modules have been designed to work with most major browsers and devices. If you're viewing the modules on an Apple iOS device (iPad or iPhone), the Safari browser is recommended. If you have a pop-up blocker in your browser, you might need to enable pop-ups when opening the modules.If any of the activities don't seem to be working properly, try another browser. You can also report the issue online to AskUWA. If you are using adaptive technology that doesn't read the modules, please download the full text-only version on this page.
askUWA has an in-depth list of FAQs about CARS. You can also “Ask a Question” if you need more help.
StudySmarter offers a range of workshops, drop-in sessions and online resources to help get more out of your study.
The University Library provides guides that can help with your research and study skills.
CARS is published under a Creative Commons Licence (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share Alike).