Current Students

Arrange for your family to join you

Further Information

Australia Awards

Living in Perth

Child Care

  • Childcare services are available close to the University. Please be aware that costs can be expensive.

Students thinking of bringing their spouse and children to Australia should carefully consider financial, social, educational and cultural issues before making a decision.

You need to take into account housing arrangements, children’s education and your family’s ability to cope with language, social and cultural issues, before your dependents arrive in Australia.

We advise students to arrive in Australia on their own, to allow time to settle in and make preparations for their family’s arrival.

Various government policies apply to families accompanying students. Please see the Department of Education's Enrolment Policy for information. 

Students intending to bring their families must advise the University and should also familiarise themselves with the polices before making a decision. Please contact the Australian High Commission Office or Embassy in your home country for details.

Schooling for Dependents

Dependent School-aged Children of Postgraduate Students

The Western Australian Government provides a limited number of places in government schools for dependent school-aged children of international students enrolled in master's by coursework, master's by research, doctorate and PhD, if they meet the criteria set by the Department of Education. Please note that your child must be in the country at the time of enrolment.

Parents are responsible for meeting the costs of special tuition for children with special needs, such as learning difficulties or a disability, and costs for intensive English language classes, if considered necessary by the school. It is recommended that your child(ren) begin learning English before arriving in Australia. 

Arrangements for schooling must be made through International Student Support after you arrive in Australia and you should not approach government schools or your university faculty directly. International Student Support, together with Education and Training International (ETI), will endeavour to place dependent children in school. It is important to note that your child will be placed in a school that has a vacancy, not necessarily the school closest to your home, and this may not be near to the University. Please also note that if you have more than one child, they may not be placed in the same school. 

To register your child for schooling or child care, you must bring your child’s:

  • immunisation records
  • education records (in English)
  • birth certificate

Before your child starts school, we advise you to obtain information about the Western Australian education system and ETI.

Dependent School-aged Children of Undergraduate, English Language and Graduate Diploma Students 

The above international students are required to pay international fees for their dependent children to attend a government school or a non-government school registered with the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). Students are to liaise directly with Education and Training International (ETI) to arrange placement for their dependents.  

Back to top


Once the student has commenced their course, spouses of international students who are enrolled in an undergraduate degree or Graduate Diploma can work up to 40 hours per fortnight.

Spouses of postgraduate students (Masters, PhD) are permitted to work full-time.

Back to top